Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Life Lessons

As we walk through life, viewing situations through our owns eyes, there are times we need to think about how others, "see", "feel" and "see" related to the  same situation.  Many years ago, I started my career in the medical field.  I met a person who was on a ventilator, had Multiple Scerlosis, and was limited in her movements.  At first I wanted to "take over", do everything for her, ven think for her.  As I got to know her better, it turned out she knew more than the average person about many different topics.  I learned to step back and let her be her, and to listen and learn.  Just because she was limited physically, mentally she was very intelligent.  Oh, things I learned, when I took the time to listen......

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you mean exactly. I have a soft heart and it really touches my heart to see someone with some form of disability. I'm always so quick to smile or hold the door or feel like I need to go out of the way to do something for them. I sometimes do this for elderly people too. They just seem so fragile and helpless when really they could probably run circles around me!!! I've had to learn to show compassion without making them feel incapable of doing anything for themselves. Thank you for sharing your story:)

    ReplyDelete